Building a Better Slice of Toast For Tomorrow ...morning

12.19.2004

I Got Aural* While Driving My Brothers Alfa Romeo

I really fell into my groove with driving the Alfa Romeo. Up until the commute home today, I had yet to even press the power button of the CD player, oh but when I did....oh man.

I've always had a thing for female vocalists, from Kitty to Portishead. (Contrary to what some of my friends say, liking female vocalists does not necessitate not having a penis or an affinity for gay man love**) Tie this in with my Downtempo kick I've been on for the past few years and my return to Jazz and Blues music thanks to my extended stay in Chicago in dickity-ought-three and you get a picture of a guy who defines mello...when that couldn't be further from the truth :)

Anyway.
My brother had left a gem from his personal collection waiting to be spun in the CD player. What came out was a medley of an upbeat jazz rhthym, classical jazz instrumentation with a slight twist of downtempo and triphop effects, and topped off with the alluring vocals of Bebel Gilberto from her self entitled album. I couldn't describe her voice to do it justice, but in some of her tracks, she sang in some language that was not english, spanish, or italian, but it was absolutely enthralling.

At the end of my commute home, I googled her. It's funny to see how things can be so interrelated and still have them feel like they came from left field. Bebel Gilberto actually did some work with one of my favorite downbeat bands, Thievery Corporation, as well as worked on a few tracks with Deee-lite's DJ Towa Tei. She's also a native Brazillian, home of Bossanova (Brazillian Jazz) and that crazy language that Ryan breakdance fights to, Portuguese.

*Joke credits to Warren's WUVT away message
** How can you be straight and not think Deee-Lite's Lady Miss Kier is smokin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home